Sunday, December 21, 2008

snow days

As the local news media has been inundated with pictures of the miraculous appearance of snow in December, I will not bore my viewing audience by adding any here. In an unrelated note, I have misplaced my camera.

So, I will attempt to paint a word picture. Nathan and I, bundled up like two Alaskan snow babies, trudged down to Juanita Bay Park through the icy-crusted coffee-tinted snow. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by a MASS of seagulls, eagerly looking over our persons for a morsel of bread. Two trips to Walgreens later, we busily crumbled and distributed 3 loaves of white and wheat bread (not necessarily in that order) to the hungry birds. (For those of you angered by this blatant waste of food, do keep in mind that the lake has been covered in snow and partially frozen since last Mon).

Note: Seagulls have very sharp beaks. There was blood in the snow by the time we were done (from other seagulls, not us). But, they made up for their sadistic, parasitic ways by being highly entertaining - they quickly realized that instead of scrabbling for muddy crumbs on the ground, circling my head and waiting for a large chunk to fly their way was the better option.

There was also a crowd of ducks that mainly stayed around my feet, stepping on me repeatedly, and a gaggle of comparatively sedate geese whose long necks proved to be a disadvantage in getting to the food quickly.

I will post pics if I get to go again tomorrow, and if I find my camera.

No comments: